The Board of Pilotage Commissioners was created by the 1935 Legislature and includes members who are appointed by the Governor, confirmed by the Senate and serve staggered four-year terms. The members include a designee of the Director of Washington State Ferries, who is the chairperson, (2) public members, (1) American shipping representative, (1) foreign shipping representative, (2) licensed Pilots, (1) environmental member, and (1) Department of Ecology member.
The mission of the Board is to ensure against the loss of lives, loss of or damage to property and vessels, and to protect the marine environment by maintaining efficient and competent pilotage service on our State’s inland waters.
The Board develops and proposes statutory language for legislative adoption to ensure safe and compulsory pilotage, adopts rules to administer State pilotage laws, and enforces pilot and public adherence to the Pilotage Act, which may include discipline and/or prosecution of violators. The Board also sets annual pilotage tariffs for the Puget Sound and Grays Harbor Pilotage Districts, administers testing, training and licensing of marine pilots, and establishes standards for reporting and investigating incidents involving state-piloted vessels.
- Sheri Jeanne Tonn, Tacoma, Chairperson
- Chuck Adams, Seattle, Public Member
- Ned Kiley, Bainbridge Island, Public Member
- Philip Morrell, Seattle, TOTE, American Shipping Member
- Grant Stewart, Puyallup, Westwood Shipping Lines, Foreign Shipping Member
- Capt. Don Mayer, Edmonds, Puget Sound Pilot Member
- Capt. Ed Marmol, Anacortes, Puget Sound Pilot Member
- Sara Thompson, Bellevue, Dept. of Ecology Member
- Eleanor Kirtley, Seattle, Green Marine, Marine Water Environment Member
BOARD of PILOTAGE COMMISSIONERS
Public Office Hours: 0730 - 1530
Please visit the Receptionist on the 5th floor to be announced,
if the office is vacant, and after hours until 5pm.
Mailing & Delivery Address:
2901 Third Avenue, Suite 500
Seattle, WA 98121
General Information: 206.515.3647
- Peggy Larson, Executive Director: 206.515.3904
Guy Bowman, Assistant Attorney General